Wednesday 29 December 2010

Little Bites of Heaven

It's been so long!  (A month actually) since I wrote.  There have been numerous blog posts floating around in my head, but life had got the better of me and "me" time (writing time) went straight to the bottom of the list.  I've also had a bit of upheaval recently and working really, really hard to see positives in it all.  Anyhow, I've found the positive and I'm back on track!  Mum arrives in two days and I can't wait!!

But this post is not about my mum, or about being kicked out of our house, or packing... it's about Little Bites of Heaven.  Since I read Megan's post about mini chocolate and caramel tarts "... or little bites of heaven" as she likes to call them, I have been obsessed.  Poor Phillip has heard me nattering on since June about needing mini-muffin tins.  No, no, no, regular muffin tins simply would not do.  I need mini-muffin tins.  I asked Louisa to borrow Mum's the next time she went down to Katikati (I cleared it with my mum-in-law, not to worry) but to no avail, she brought back the regular ones (she said she couldn't find the mini ones.)  I harrumphed and carried on checking out mini-muffin tins when we were out shopping.

Then... Nana asked what we wanted for Christmas.  We needed a roasting dish and as I stared off into space (as I tend to do) Phill reminded me about the mini-muffin tins.  So, as I tend to do once a desire has been fulfilled, I promptly put it out of my mind.  It's quite amazing really.  Anyhow, on Christmas Day, there I was peering at the curiously wrapped packet with my name on it; I wondered idly what it was, but then got caught up in others opening their goodies.  I peeled the paper back from my package, and there they were!  My tins!  (That's what's great about me - I can tell you the gift I really want, but then I forget that I told you I wanted it, so it's still a surprise for me.)

So very yummy!
So yesterday, I baked.  I'm into the easy baking.  These required a bit of work.  But it was so worth it!  If you have a bit of a sweet tooth and have the patience to bake, it's definitely worth a trip over to the Lovely Megan's blog to find the recipe (if you click on recipes in the tags, you'll find it there.)  My chocolate seized up and just wouldn't melt.  I suggest a double boiler (I used my metal bowl on top of a small saucepan - make sure the water doesn't boil and it's just simmering) instead of the microwave (which is what I had done in the first place to make it seize up) A dribble of vegetable oil did the trick and they hardened up just fine when I refrigerated them.  Megan's recipe calls for dark chocolate - I used milk chocolate, as Phill doesn't like dark chocolate.  I have a sneaking suspicion they'd be even better with dark chocolate, as the bitterness would balance out the sweetness of the caramel.  (Of course, then there would be none left on the plate to take a photo of, since I already love them and I'm mad about dark chocolate.) 

I suppose I have to mention that the plate was full yesterday... and Phill only had three... I'm just not sure WHERE the rest went!
Thank you, Megan for posting this delicious, divine and delectable recipe!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails